The Little Letters that Started it All

 I learned to write when I was a little girl in Kindergarten. At the time, I thought I was simply learning how to make letters behave themselves on a piece of paper. I got a prize whenever I wrote a complete sentence.

In time, I practiced my strokes, copied words, filled pages with letters, and slowly learned that every little curve had a proper place to begin and end. Even if I didn't get any prize for writing well, the completion of the work itself became my prize. It was great! I was a writer!

I did not know then that those ordinary handwriting lessons and the self-help I did after school were giving me something I would carry for the rest of my life.

Writing became easier and enjoyable as my penmanship improved. Eventually, it became a way for me to think, create, communicate, and make sense of the things happening inside my head. What began with learning how to form lowercase letters eventually led me to journals, stories, essays, editing, blogging, copywriting, and eventually becoming a published author.

Funny how something that looks so small can become the beginning of something much bigger.

That is one reason I appreciate good handwriting workbooks and created one myself.

For a child who is still learning, a lowercase letter can look surprisingly complicated. There are curves, loops, starting points, and directions to remember. A little guidance can make the process much less frustrating.

Amazon affiliate link: https://link.amazon/B0ad92aHt

This Lowercase Print Handwriting Workbook uses simple directional arrows to show children where to start and which way to move when forming each letter. Instead of simply copying a finished letter, learners can understand how the letter is actually made.

I remember being that little girl learning one letter at a time. The right guidance at the beginning stays with a person long. For me, good writing eventually became a skill, a creative outlet, a career, and a very large portion of my life. And it all started with learning how to put little letters on a page.

Popular Posts